Year 5 (Rowling) 2019 - 2020
Welcome to our class page!
Mr Griffiths is the class teacher. Rowling class will also have the support of Mrs Earlam on Wednesday afternoons and French will be taught by Mrs Hill on Friday afternoons.
PE is scheduled for Thursday. However, the children ought to have their PE kit in school throughout the week. We expect the children to wear trainers, white T-shirts and black shorts. Long hair should be tied back for lessons. We also recommend that the children are provided with tracksuits for outdoor lessons in cold weather conditions.
PE kit can be taken home over the weekend for washing.
A homework information sheet will be sent home every Thursday. The tasks set will heavily relate to the learning done in class.
- Spellings: The children will be given 10 spellings to learn every week in order to prepare for a test on the following Thursday. Usually the words tested will follow a common rule.
- Punctuation and Grammar: The children will be given a booklet for punctuation and a booklet for grammar. We will alternate between the two booklets. Tasks from two pages will be set each week. Children are not expected to spend longer than 30 minutes on the set activities. Completed tasks should be returned by the following Wednesday.
- Times Tables: Times table grids (1-12) will be completed every Friday morning and returned to be taken home on the following Monday. On the returned sheet will be a times table for your child to focus on in preparation for the next Friday grid. Children are welcome to take home blank grids from the classroom to practise. They can also practise on the website ‘Times Tables Rockstars’ (their login details have been stuck on the inside cover of their yellow Reading Record books). We give the pupils 10 minutes to complete as much of the grid as they can.
- Maths: ‘Classroom Secrets’ activities will be set each week. These activities will be set from Thursday to be completed by the following Wednesday. Children are not expected to spend longer than 30 minutes on the activities specified.
- If your child experiences any difficulty with the homework, then please encourage him/her to speak to Mr Griffiths at the next opportunity.
Water bottles, pencil cases and school bags
Children are permitted to bring water bottles into school. These should be kept by the sink in the classroom. Please ensure that these are taken home on a regular basis for washing.
Pencil cases are provided by the school (and stay in school). We provide all the equipment they require.
Children need to bring in their black bookbags every day. Larger bags or rucksacks will not be needed unless they have a particular sport or club after school.
Listening to your child read at home is really beneficial, so your support is greatly appreciated. We encourage children to read a range of genres, but also to read texts which they find interesting. Please record any reading the children do at home in their yellow Reading Record Books. These books should be kept in their bookbags. If at least 5 home reads are recorded for a week (twice to an adult and three times independently) then each child will be awarded with a raffle ticket. A draw will be made for each class on the first Monday of every month with the winners receiving a book prize.
On 6th – 7th May we will be enjoying our residential visit to Llandudno. The children will explore the mines, participate in a nature trail, walk on The Great Orme and hopefully play some games on the beach in the evening!
I can be contacted via email (email@example.com). Alternatively, you can speak to me at the beginning or end of the school day. If you have any questions or queries, then please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Mr A Griffiths
Files to Download
Year 5 (Rowling): News items
There are no News items to display
Year 5 (Rowling): Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 5 (Rowling): Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 5 (Rowling): Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display